Read our handy tax checklist
Tax Time: Make sure you have all you need to hand, to maximise your tax return
Do you have all the up-to-date documentation you need to lodge your tax return and get the best tax refund possible? The list of statements, receipts and invoices required can seem quite daunting, but we’re here to help and to make the process as smooth and efficient as possible. The key is to be organized and prepared so that our accountants can lodge your return as soon as possible.
Your TaxAssist Accountant will be able to access some of your personal information via the ATO, such as payment summaries from your employers or Centrelink, your superannuation contributions, income from banks and financial institutions and your Medicare Levy. You would need to provide your Tax File Number to us, to enable us to lodge your tax return on your behalf.
Use our handy guide to prepare for your appointment. We’ve broken the requirements down into sections, so you can see at a glance what you will need to bring.
If you are unsure about anything, it’s not a problem, our accountants are on hand to explain what is required according to your personal situation.
The most common reasons that a tax return may be required are as follows:
- Had tax withheld from any payments (such as wages) made to you during the income year
- Are an Australian resident and your taxable income was more than the tax-free threshold ($18,200)
- Are a foreign resident and you earned more than $1 in Australia during the income year
- Are leaving Australia forever or for more than one income year
- Wish to claim any tax deductions
- Are a foreign resident with a study or training support loan
- Are a liable or recipient parent under a child support assessment for the whole income year and your income was $27,063 or more
- You have traded shares or Crypto Currency
- You are self-employed or a partner in a partnership
- You are a company director
- You have large amounts of savings or investment income
- You have untaxed savings or investment income
- You own land or property that is being let
- You have income from overseas
- You have sold or given an asset away (such as a holiday home or some shares)
- You’ve lived or worked abroad or aren’t domiciled in Australia
- You are an employee with shares or other income
The staff at the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) are not tasked to advise you on how to organise your affairs and minimise your tax. Therefore, if you want to make sure you are paying the right amount of tax, you should consult a professional.
We prepare income Income Tax Returns for:
- Self Managed Superannuation Funds
- Deceased Estates
At TaxAssist Accountants we use ATO-approved software to:
- Lodge your tax return
- Calculate your tax liability
- Lodge the return online
- Liaise with you on the amounts to be paid and when they are due
More than just a tax return
In addition, we can analyse your tax return to see if any tax savings can be made and we can also review the form to see if there are any anomalies that need to be addressed before the return is lodged. This process helps to minimise your risk of an ATO enquiry into your tax affairs. If you are experiencing cashflow problems, we can explore the possibilities of deferring your tax payments or negotiating a payment plan with ATO on your behalf.
By giving you a fixed, competitive price, we can take the worry away when it comes to tax returns; allowing you to concentrate on running your business.
Important dates to remember
- 31st October Individual and Sole Trader Tax deadline
- 1st December Company, Trust, SMSF tax deadline
If you think you are going to miss the Tax Return deadline, call us, we can help you avoid a costly fine.
Join us in three easy steps
Get in touch
Arrange a free consultation in person or via video with your local accountant. It’s an informal chat to get to know you and find out more about the help you are looking for.
Chat to an expert
We clearly explain the support available to you and are happy to act as business advisors in order to help you grow your business.
Get a fixed quote
Our fees are fixed and tailored specifically to each individual's needs, so that you only pay for the level of support and services that you require.
Choose the right accounting firm for you
Running your own business can be challenging so why not let TaxAssist Accountants manage your tax, accounting, bookkeeping and payroll needs? If you are not receiving the service you deserve from your accountant, then perhaps it’s time to make the switch?
We specialise in supporting independent businesses. Each TaxAssist Accountant runs their own business, and are passionate about supporting you.
We enjoy talking to business owners and self-employed professionals who are looking to get the most out of their accountant. You can visit us at any of our multiple locations, meet with us online through video call software, or talk to us by telephone.
Changing accountants is easier than you might think. There are no tax implications and you can switch at any time in the year and our team will guide you through the process for a smooth transition.